Your Ad Here

Friday, November 19, 2010

Tony's Pizza Palace (Smithfield, RI) Review


Value: ****
Taste: ****
Service: ***1/2

Tony’s Pizza Palace has a few things going against it from the start. Number 1, it’s in Smithfield whose best pizza place I’ve tried is Papa Gino’s (a chain). The area is notorious for bad pizza, especially around Bryant University. Don’t get me wrong, some of the more upscale Italian Restaurants probably have some good stuff, but we’re talking delivery/takeout/quick stuff here. Number 2, it’s near a liquor store and a variety store. This doesn’t necessarily mean anything, after all some of the best places are holes in the wall, but based on the building you’d think it’s another House of Pizza (never been but everyone’s told me it is terrible and that it resembles Ellio’s frozen pizza for $12). Prior to ordering I did a quick lookup of the place on google and the two reviews I found said the place was pretty good, so I figured what the hell? Normally I’d have to drive toward Providence for the good stuff so maybe I’d find a place much, much closer.

So I gave’em a ring and the guy on the phone told me my pizza would be ready in about 20 minutes, pretty standard pizza time.  No super powered ovens here. I decided to pick it up so I can see what the place is like inside. Nothing too fancy but definitely somewhere you’d be comfortable taking the family or your gang of bros for some chow. So what did I get? Let me show you:



You can clearly tell that half is pepperoni and mushroom, pretty standard topping. “But what is the other half!?” you say. No, those aren’t more mushrooms. 

One valuable lesson I’ve learned over the years is if you don’t want anyone else eating your pizza, whether it be close friends, relatives, or anyone else you’re supposed to like, you learn to like anchovies. “Ewwwww!!” you say. Ah, I pity your unrefined taste buds. Anchovies are like a fine wine, filled with salt and fish and has been floating uncorked in the ocean for 3 years. They’re the perfect topping to raise your blood pressure with the pizza that is clogging your arteries. If you happen to like anchovies, I won’t order pizza when you’re around.

Tony’s Pizza Palace is Greek style pizza, which for those who haven’t tried it, is actually pretty different from your standard Brooklyn/New York style pie. The crust is more bready, usually thicker. The sauce is usually a bit sweeter and has more oregano. The cheese is usually a blend of mozzarella and provolone, sometimes cheddar, and is laid on pretty thick. Tony’s crust isn’t particularly thick but you can taste the breadiness. It’s got a nice crunch to it to. The sauce is just sweet enough and in just the right amount. I can’t stand pizza with too much sauce, probably because it usually means I’m going to get heartburn. The cheese is probably a provolone and mozzarella meaning it’s not particularly salty. The mushrooms were cut in bigger pieces which I like and the pepperoni was pretty standard fair.

The price was $12.43 which with three toppings is not bad at all. It’s a good size pizza and plenty for two people or two meals for one, which is what I’ll be doing since my town house deserted me this weekend. Other reviews online said the grinders and other food is good and well priced. I’ll update you on that next time. All and all I’d say Tony’s is a good value for pizza, especially when crap holes in the area charge the same if not more.

Service was average. I didn’t eat there so I can’t say how the service really is. The pizza was ready when I got there and the place was busy so that's definitely a plus. I guess I have to give it 3.5/5, that’s average right? At least until I eat in.

So overall Tony’s Pizza Palace gets a thumbs up from yours truly. It’s one of the few pizza places around campus that I can buy a pizza and then not feel like I’ve been violently beaten and mugged, plus they deliver. Good stuff.

Tony’s Pizza Palace
Unit 1, 200 Pleasant View Avenue
Smithfield, RI 02917-1796
(401) 231-1010

No comments:

Post a Comment