Your Ad Here

Monday, November 29, 2010

J's Deli (Smithfield, RI) Review

Value: ****
Taste: ****
Service: ***1/2

Someone at J's Deli took a real estate course and know the three L's very well. Location, location, location! Maybe they're Bryant graduates, har har har. J's Deli is less than a two minute drive from Bryant University, maybe less if your driving style is of the "I need to get there before my bros" variety. The area is markedly devoid of anything quick to eat except for the adjacent "Quickets" that I'll be reviewing soon.Anywhere else and this deli might be considered nothing special by some, but personally I find J's Deli just different enough to be great. Granted its no Katz's Deli nor is it some stunning revolution in the deli formula, but its got a few things going for it.

 As I said, its conveniently located next to my campus. The sandwiches are also pretty well priced. You will get a huge sandwich for roughly $6-$8, or you can get a half a sandwich (that you'll pick up with your limp wrist) for a few bucks less. J's avoids the arch sin of most deli's and doesn't skimp on the cold cuts. You WILL get your monies worth of meat on a sandwich, not like that bullshit Subway doles out. The cold cuts are also good quality to. I think the majority of them are Boar's Head. ALSO BROKE PEOPLE TAKE NOTE: The nearby Stop and Shop prints coupons for a full Italian combo from J's Deli with the purchase of two sandwiches. This comes out to $15 for three huge sandwiches. Eat your heart out Subway.

First time visitors to J's Deli are bound to be overwhelmed when they walk in. The walls are plastered with names of sandwiches and their descriptions, many of them tailored to the local business students. There's "The Portfolio", "The Stockbroker", "The Freshman", "The Graduate", and the "Wall Street" to name a few. I often find myself having ordered and while waiting, I glance over to a sign or wall and think "Goddamnit I wish I saw that before". Be forewarned, look around as much as possible, your bound to miss the sandwich you wanted.

I've been to J's Deli numerous time and I'm confused as to why I didn't review it first. I'll use the excuse that its because I didn't have pictures, yah that's it. Even though last night I began noshing on my sandwich as you can see below, thankfully my room mate reminded me that I needed to take pictures for the blog. Below is a picture of "The Portfolio".


Its an interesting combination of pastrami, swiss, and coleslaw. The first time I ordered it I wasn't sure about coleslaw, but let me assure you, its hundreds of times better than plain mayo. Also, if you can't tell from the image, the pastrami is stacked on there nice and high, all you garbage sandwich chains take note. Pastrami isn't the cheapest of cold cuts either. The other favorite of mine is the "The Pilgrim" which I didn't order due to the turkey overdose that is Thanksgiving. Its a sub with sliced turkey, stuffing, American cheese, mayo, and cranberry sauce (I think you can get it with gravy to). Any place that put Thanksgiving dinner on a dinner roll is alright with me. My buddy got this thing, don't ask me what it was called, I can't remember but it looks pretty good:


Here's some of the other subs I've tried and remember off the top of my head:

The Wall Street - Pastrami and swiss with a generous helping of hot deli mustard (good stuff)

The Freshman - Breaded chicken cutlet with bbq sauce, cheese, and bacon (not bad, had a few too many though and got sick of them)

The New Yorker - A standard reuben served on sliced Italian bread (nice!)

Sausage and Peppers - The name says it all, nothing too special, just good ole' home made style sausage and peppers

The Graduate - Same as the freshman but with buffalo sauce

Italian Combo - Very good, they use real cappicola and all that other Italian stuff, not bland ham and salami like most delis

I've had other one's to but can't remember all the ingredients to them. Service can  be slow at times, even when no one's there but they slice the deli meat as needed and everything is made fresh so I can't complain too much. J's occasionally has other items as well including stuffed quahogs, pizza, stromboli, egg rolls, and a bunch of other stuff I have yet to try. The chicken finger and fries are awesome, along with anything fried on the menu (mozzarella sticks, curly fries, wings, and even fried cheesecake!? which I saw yesterday). The potato salad and macaroni salad are not bad but nothing to write home about. Chances are if you attend Bryant and aren't comatose you've been to J's Deli, but this site needs content so I'm here's this review anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment