Your Ad Here

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Los Molcajetes (South Norwalk, CT)

Value: *****
Taste: ****
Service: ***

This was probably my third of fourth trip to Los Molcajetes and I still had to Google the name to get the right spelling. I still don't know what the name means either, but lets put it this way, I haven't been to any other Mexican restaurant in the area since I first tried this place. Los Molcajetes is located in a shopping center in what can probably best be described as a hole in a wall. There isn't a ton of room in the place, just enough for the eight or so tables in there. The decor is fairly simple, a few paintings and pictures here or there. Needless to say, this isn't a place you go to for the atmosphere, its the food, which is the only thing I give a crap about. They of course offer take out and even delivery.

(Photo courtesy of Urbanspoon.com)

The menu here is extensive and full of both authentic and Amercanized/Tex-Mex/whatever-its-called items. It would help on your first visit to go with someone who knows some Spanish or a Spanish to English dictionary/iPhone app. Otherwise you'll end up being that guy who asks the waiter what everything on the menu is. As far as price goes, I challenge you to find a better deal around. You're looking at fish tacos for $2/$3 and burritos for $5 which damn near kick the crap out of Chipotle's gristle filled steak burritos. Speaking of, that's my usual at Los Molcajetes, the burrito. Normally I try something different whenever I frequent a restaurant, but for some reason I never want to miss out on the burrito, maybe next time... Anyway, as with most Mexican restaurants you get your complimentary chips and salsa. Los Molcajetes offers up a different twist on this however. The last time I went they only had one type of salsa, but usually you are given two. The type I was so sadly deprived of last time is a finely mashed, vibrant red salsa, almost the consistency of tomato sauce. It was served in a black stone mortar and was both hot and spicy. The other salsa was served cold and seemed more like regular salsa BUT interesting is mixed with cabbage and has a marked sweetness to it. Very good stuff. Here is a picture for your eyeballs to feast on:


(I forgot to take a picture before most of it was gone. Evidence enough that its delicious.)

Due to my laziness in writing this article (the pictures were taken more than a month ago) I don't remember exactly what was in the burritos, but I'll do my best to remember. You've got your choice of meat of course. There's steak, pork, chicken, ground beef, and chorizo. I've gotten the steak and pork and the meat both times was tender. I make a point of this because I've gotten a steak burrito at the Chipotle chain in Rhode Island, which although has decent burritos, I've had more gristle than meat within on more than one occasion. They seem to like to pile on every ingredient except meat at Chipotle as well. But enough about that, back to the important stuff. Los Molcajetes stuffs their burritos full of meat, rice, beans, some lettuce, and sour cream. They also give you some guacamole on the side which is some of the freshest and best tasting I've had. Here is the burrito:

(Delicious. Also take note of the plate in the back for later)

On one occasion at Los Molcajetes, a friend of mine ordered a chimichanga. Let me tell you, this was not a regular chimichanga! It was loaded with meat, at least the size of my burrito, and it was covered in a warm blanket of melted cheese. Due to my strong desire to live to 40, I have yet to order one, but may soon be forced to give in. The background plate above is a carne asada platter which I sampled. The steak was excellent. The portion sizes always seem to be just right, and you'll never leave still feeling hungry. On both occasions, meals for two came to under twenty dollars, and the last time that check also included a dessert. Quite frankly, you cannot get better Mexican food for the price, especially when cesspools like Taco Bell charge nearly the same price. Service was slow at times but not too bad and the people working their were always hospitable.

(Update: I originally started this review in...March maybe? Wow time flies. I checked back today and realized it was basically done and that I just never posted it. Anyway, expect more regular updates moving forward.)


No comments:

Post a Comment